Image courtesy Gerald McCraith AM
Award of Honour for 2001 granted to:
David Lloyd Jones
For outstanding work in the field of orchids.
– Co-editor of Nelson’s publication of Orchids of Australia by W.H. Nicholls.
– Author of Native Orchids of Australia, a major reference work.
– Author of Australian Orchid Research Volumes 2 and 3.
– Major contributor to projects and publications on orchids in Tasmania, south-west Western Australia, New South Wales, and Victoria.
– Major contributor to treatment Diurideae in Genera Orchidacearum for Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, England.
– Major contributor to Flora of Australia.
– Pioneered the use of floral dissection cards as a means of recording the biodiversity of Australian orchid flora.
– Set up a network of professional and amateur botanists across Australia thus expanding and speeding up the process of searching for and studying orchids throughout the country.
– Has recognised, described, named, renamed and illustrated approximately 260 species and several genera of orchids, both separately and in conjunction with various colleagues.
– Has been a member of the Australian Orchid Foundation Research committee since its inception, and chairman for the last 15 years.